maybe I'm amazed

There are two ways of spreadng light: To be the Candle or the Mirror that reflects it. --Edith Wharton

Monday, March 05, 2007

Plus ca change...

Before Babel

Before Crash

There was Do The Right Thing.

I'll admit it - I just saw it tonight. I know, I know, I know. I'm a modern African-American woman who hasn't seen one of the key black movies of the last few decades.

I'm still digesting the movie. There's a lot. But first impression is that I'm amazed that so many people live in denial that racism continues today. So much of the poo-pooing of Crash was that peeople felt it was "contrived" or that it made too much of an issue that isn't important anymore. Mais, plus c'est la meme chose, plus change - but the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I think the most resounding theme of both Crash and Do The Right Thing is the concept of powerlessness and frustration in your situation. It's kinda late - I can't quite elaborate and I have another post in mind - so I'm going to let this sit. I'll revisit it eventually, but for now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home