maybe I'm amazed

There are two ways of spreadng light: To be the Candle or the Mirror that reflects it. --Edith Wharton

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Sell out with me...Oh-Yeah!

I want to work in politics.

I spend no less than $5 a day at Starbucks.

I drive a 2005 car.

I live in North Arlington.

I shop like crazy.

So.....I don't work in politics. I work in sales because it pays me the necessary salary to afford my lifestyle.

I am a sell-out.

But why is it like this. Where is it written that in order to be a great campaign staff person you should endure being poor. Um, hello....I have $80K in student loans....I can't work for free.

I am writing this after receiving an email about Barack Obama's PAC HopeFund America's "Yes we can" program. It is supposed to introduce young minority Americans to politics and campaign work. Which means that if I applied and got into the program, I would need to quit my job and move somewhere random to fulfill my dreams of working in politics.

But I'm a sell-out. And I'm materialistic. So that won't happen. Though it's a great opportunity.

And this strikes me as grossly unfair. Can't I be activist minded and materialistic? Why do those things have to be mutually exclusive? Because maybe I'm not a sell-out. Maybe I'm realistic. Maybe I don't see the connection between being a brilliant political strategist and living a life of abject poverty.

For those of you who like poverty - check out the program....it really does kick butt: http://hopefundamerica.com/training//

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home